On Wednesday 18th March, the decision was made by the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs (via their Smarttraveller website (https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/) to advise Australians: do not travel overseas at this time. Subsequent advice has continued to be released since this date. Most recently, on Thursday 19th March, the Australian Prime Minister released a statement saying our borders would close to non-residents of Australia.
As one may expect, this has resulted in a large number of telephone calls to our HQ office here in Australia with questions regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the implications.
Our teams have been working outside of normal business hours and answering phone calls and email queries to help support our Gappie and family network. We have been following news and government agency websites in attempt to remain informed of the ever-changing information and advice and we continue to share updates with you.
"Our number one priority is the health and safety of our participants and our staff, so please know that we taking this situation very seriously. Our dedicated team are in contact with our host schools, participants and families. We understand your concerns and welcome conversations however I assure you that our team is working with our host schools with how best to respond to the needs of our participants currently abroad.
During this time, we want you to feel in control, therefore, if you as a family decide that you would like to return to your home country, you are welcome to change your flights with no administration fee from Letz Live. We want you to have total peace of mind about your partnership with Letz Live.
We have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions and our recent emails so that you may refer to these. It is our hope this helps to alleviate any concerns. However, please feel free to contact us if you require more information."
- Nicholas Hare, Director & Founder
Here are the links to our most recent emails sent to our Letz Live community:
What do the new restrictions involve?
People in the UK will only be allowed to leave their home for the following purposes:
• Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
• One form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household
• Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
• Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home
• Police will have the powers to enforce the rules, including through fines and dispersing gatherings. To ensure compliance with the instruction to stay at home, the government will:
• Close all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship
• Stop all gatherings of more than two people in public – excluding people you live with
• Stop all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals
• Parks will remain open for exercise, but gatherings will be dispersed.
If you’ve purchased travel itineraries via Letz Travel, but are not on a UK Gap Year placement please direct your enquiries through to Claudia Nelson. Our travel team is on standby.
Please email [email protected] with the following details:
• Participant’s full name as per passport
• List three (3) preferred departure dates
• Contact details for parents (telephone number & email)
Please note we will do our best to secure your preferred departure dates, however in the case that we cannot, we will be in touch with your parent/guardian with the next best dates.
Please note that we are experiencing an increasing volume of calls. The best way to enquire about flight options is to send an email. We have a dedicated team processing these emails.
'If you decide to return to Australia, you will now be required to self-isolate for 14 days. This applies to all travellers, including Australian citizens.'
Information regarding how to self-isolate can be found here https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-isolation-guidance