FIND OUT MORE
Dreaming of a cultural experience like no other? When it comes to natural beauty, outdoor adventure and local hospitality, nothing quite compares to the land of the long white cloud.
Our New Zealand Gap Year Program offers participants the chance to experience life as a true Kiwi. Working directly with local students and teachers as an assistant at a leading New Zealand school, we offer a wide variety of placements across the North and South islands, allowing you to get a taste of life in whichever part of this diverse country you’d like.
When school is out, you’re free to travel the length of this stunning country. From beautiful beaches to ski fields, New Zealand has it all! Play movie scout by touring the locations used in The Lord of the Rings, experience the extreme sports playground of Queenstown, trek the famous Fox Glacier, or indulge in the renowned Marlborough wine region; the options are endless in the island nation!
Our New Zealand Gap Year Program is inclusive of meals, accommodation, weekly allowance, visa assistance, a comprehensive in-country orientation and ongoing support from our committed team.
Application closing dates for the July 2018 and January 2019 intakes are listed below.
- UK/EU residents: Dec 15, 2017.
- Australian residents: Apr 6, 2018.
- South African residents: Feb 9, 2018.
- The rest of the world: Dec 15, 2017.
The sooner you apply, the better! To be fair to all applicants, closing dates must be strictly enforced. However, if you wish to register after the application closing date, contact us via email as last minute placements may become available.
Placements for our New Zealand Gap Year Program commence late January and mid July.
Our New Zealand Gap Year Program typically requires a commitment of 11 months. From time to time, some schools may require placements to be shorter than 6 months.
In addition to complimentary food and accommodation, participants can expect to receive between NZ$150 and NZ$250 per week as an allowance throughout the school term.
"I’ve had no regrets on my gap year and would certainly recommended it for anyone in decision whether to go ahead with it. I’ve made lifelong friends with many people I’ve met here, from all over the world- some Kiwi, English, Australian and South African. I have also learnt many important life skills – interacting with adults and learning how to conduct myself in a professional workplace. Some may feel also a bit daunted at the fact you are going away for a year- one year is a long time but the school holidays break up the year and it just flies by. I’ve never felt homesick and you just get used to living here! Letz Live have been great in organising this opportunity for me."Lewis B
"When one year ago I considered taking a gap year, the prospect of spending one year on the other side of the world away from family and friends seemed scary. And it is – in the beginning at least. But it is 110% worth it. I have always enjoyed traveling and meeting new people. On my Gap Year I have travelled the North and South Island of New Zealand thoroughly, visited Melbourne and Sydney and went to Samoa as well as Hong Kong. Thinking about how much I have experienced, how many amazing and inspiring people I have met whilst traveling and working and how many lessons I’ve learnt it just seems surreal. I would do it again any day.”Greta W
“Without a doubt, my gap year has been the best thing I have ever experienced. I was given the opportunity to become a role model for the hundreds of children at my school. As a young man who loves his sport, I’d have to say the highlight of my working year would be the time I spent helping to coach the under 10’s rugby team to premiership victory. If you’re looking for a life-changing experience, then a gap year with Letz Live is definitely the way to go.”Josh S
“Letz Live has been a real asset for my gap year. As an (initially) inexperienced traveler, it was great to fly with a group of other ‘Gappies’ and the Letz Live team. Our accommodation and transfers were all organised for us in advance, but more importantly, Letz Live provided invaluable advice and a wealth of traveling experience. I’ve benefited the most from this ongoing support throughout the year. Its great to have Letz Live contact us regularly to help us organise our flights and tours (not to mention the discounts they have provided us with)“.Mitch S
The New Zealand Gap Year Program includes:
- Your placement as an assistant at a leading New Zealand school, carefully selected by our team (we visit our host placements annually to ensure their continued suitability to host our participants)
- A dedicated ‘Country Coordinator’ and 'Program Manager' who will be your key point of contact in the lead up to and throughout the full duration of your placement with us
- Ongoing and unlimited support from our New Zealand based team
- In-country orientation course upon arrival, including 2 x nights’ accommodation, daily breakfast and welcome dinner
- The opportunity to see and explore Auckland during orientation
- Visa sponsorship (required to partake the program)
- ‘Duty of Care’ course in conjunction with the Australian Boarding School Association as required by the Australian Boarding Standard
- Local New Zealand mobile phone SIM card
- New Zealand Lonely Planet guide
- Discounted travel insurance policies and tour rates throughout New Zealand, Australia, the South Pacific islands and throughout South East Asia
- 2 x complimentary international money transfers and instructions for establishing a New Zealand bank account
- Plus much more!
Applicants for our New Zealand Gap Year Program must:
- Be aged between 18 and 25 years old at the time of their arrival into New Zealand
- Have a valid passport from their home country
- Have no serious pre-existing medical conditions
- Have no prior convictions, with the ability to provide evidence as required
- Have completed secondary schooling prior to arrival in New Zealand
- Be willing to undergo a medical examination as part of the visa application (if required by New Zealand Immigration authorities)
Application & Program Fees
All of our gap year programs are subject to a non-refundable application fee which is payable at the time of your online application. The application fee includes all costs associated with the processing of your application and interview.
Only applicants who are offered and subsequently accept a placement will be charged the remainder of the program fee.
|Application Fee||Program Fee||Total Payable|
|Australia (+ Other)||AUD $125.00||AUD $2,490.00||AUD $2,615.00|
|UK (+ Continental Europe)||GBP £50.00||GBP £1,250.00||GBP £1,350.00|
|South African (+ Continental Africa)||ZAR 865.00||ZAR 17,500.00||ZAR 18,365.00|
|North, Central & South America||AUD $125.00||AUD $2,490.00||AUD $2,615.00|
LODGING AN APPLICATION
To apply for this program, you’ll first be required to share a bit about yourself by completing an online application form and uploading your photo. Be sure to include as much detail as possible! This will help us to secure the right placement for you.
So, you’ve completed the form. What’s next?
Once we receive your application, we’ll contact your three nominated referees and ask them to complete a confidential online evaluation form regarding your suitability for the New Zealand Gap Year Program. Once we’ve heard back from each of your referees, we’ll get in touch with you via email to arrange a time and date for your face-to-face interview.
Following your face-to-face interview, we hope to be in a position to discuss your application with the ideal school for you in New Zealand!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
• January Intake: Applicants notified between June to August
• July Intake: Applicants notified between February to March