Heading to New Zealand for your Gap Year may see you placed in one of the country’s leading boarding schools in Auckland. Auckland is the largest city in the country and offers a range of activities and attractions both in the city and within a couple of hours.
A Letz Live Gap Year in New Zealand is a fantastic opportunity to really explore and immerse yourself in this modern country. New Zealand offers plenty of outdoor adventures, stunning scenery and interesting Maori culture. Auckland is a great central location to be placed for your Gap Year. You can live in a cosmopolitan city with festivals, great restaurants and bars along with some fantastic natural attractions and scenery.
Some of the key things attractions that Auckland has to offer are:
Nature Walks and Parks
- There are some great hikes and walks in and around Auckland providing a great free activity and a chance to explore the city, waterfalls or along the coast
- Visit Cornwall Park, this inner city park and working farm is 425 acres of parkland, sports grounds and tree lined avenues open to the public to relax in and explore.
- Mount Eden is a dormant volcano completely covered in grass and offers great views over Auckland. Auckland is built around 48 dormant volcanoes and most can be visited including One Tree Hill and Mount Victoria
Stunning City Views
- Head up the iconic Auckland Sky Tower to take in the 360 degree views of the city
- Head to the Wynyard Quarter and Silo Park to have some great food, listen to some buskers and catch up with your fellow Gaps
- For a bit of a culture hit, check out the Auckland Art Gallery
Beaches and Islands
- Head to either the East Coast or West Coast beaches. There are plenty to choose from but just be careful if you are heading to the West Coast beaches, stick to swimming between flags as the beaches can be a bit treacherous. If you are a keen surfer check out Piha beach
- Head over to Waiheke Island. This beautiful island is a short trip from the city centre offering some great beaches and walks around the coastline.
- Take a day trip to Goat Island to snorkel or scuba dive. If you are wanting to stay dry maybe opt for a kayak trip or glass bottom boat.
A Burst of Adventure
- If you’re looking for more adrenaline based activities you can go bungy jumping at New Zealand’s only ocean touch bungy. You can base jump off the Sky Tower or go skiing indoors at the year round indoor snow resort Snowplanet
If you are based in Auckland for your New Zealand Gap Year you are in for a great time. But, Auckland isn’t where the good times and adventure stops. The North Island offers some great attractions, activities and natural beauty, ready for you to explore on your days off or school holidays.
So, what are you waiting for?! Apply today to start your New Zealand adventure.